Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Filling Out An Online Dating Profile



What used to be a  shameful stigma attached to meeting a man online is gone, To those who still think that meeting your partner via your partner is embarrassing, unromantic, or the last resort: it’s about time to leave the past behind and welcome to the new world. The world of online dating.

But does online dating really work?

For me, there was only one way to find out.

So,I created an online profile, which took more time, thought, and energy than I expected.

With a can of coke and chips in hand, I then started my dateinasia signup , and filled out as much information as I can, with the intent of making my profile as real as possible.

Just picking the right photos took almost an hour , and creating the tag line and profile description took even longer.

As I wrote, I heard the critical voice in my head telling me that I was making myself sound boring and no one would ever be interested in me.


Then I moved on to what to say about my job . I did not want to mention even the slightest hint of the fact that I’m a part-time writer anywhere on my profile.

As a writer who writes very personal and honest essays, the last thing I want a prospective date to ask me is, “So, what do you write?”

I couldn’t say, “ Well, there’s this article I wrote regarding  “ The brutal truth about penis enlargers”.

That would definitely scare them away.

The deeper I got into the process, the more I realized that I wanted to find a man online.

So, I took careful consideration in filling out what I wanted and needed in a partner , and height was the least of it.

Standing at 5’2 on my bare feet, I was confident that I would not have difficulty finding matches in a site dominated by tall white males.

Reading over my completed profile, I felt happy with it and satisfied, like I’d done what I’d set out to do It wasn’t the most amazing profile and I wasn’t the most exciting, adventurous  person on the internet. My profile was quiet and subtle, authentic and funny giving just a glimpse of who I truly am.

No comments:

Post a Comment